John Dory with Chilli, Cannellini Beans and Thyme
This is my interpretation of a recipe by our advisor, Rick Stein, from his book “Fruits of the Sea”
60ml Olive Oil
1 red pepper, finely diced
2 red chillies, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tin cannellini beans
2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tbs dried)
4 small John Dory, cleaned and gutted (or 1 large, depending on availability)
12 black olives, finely chopped
2 tbs white wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish large enough to hold the fish. If you don’t have one, do this step in a saucepan and transfer to an ovenproof dish at step 5.
- Add the peppers, chillies, garlic, onion and thyme, and stir over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened and lightly coloured.
- Stir in the tin of cannellini beans, including the liquid, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the fish inside and out with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the fish on top of the beans and sprinkle with chopped black olives.
- Cover and bake for 10-12 minutes (20 minutes for a large fish) then uncover and cook for a further 5-6 minutes (10 minutes for a larger fish).
- To serve, lift the fish off and place onto plates (you can take it off the bone before serving is desired). Stir the vinegar into the beans and serve them alongside the fish, with a dressed leaf salad on the side if desired.