Sardine and kale spaghetti
Not only is this recipe quick and delicious, but it’s packed with minerals, vitamins and omega 3 oils. Enjoy! This is designed to be a low cost recipe.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 x 120g/4¼oz tin sardines in olive oil
1 onion, chopped
salt and black pepper
1 garlic clove, finely sliced
½ tsp chilli flakes
200g/7oz curly kale, chopped
1 lemon, juice only
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and, once hot, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Fry gently until soft and golden-brown. Once soft, add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for a further two minutes.
- Break the sardines into bite-sized pieces, discarding any large bones. Add them to the onions together with the remaining oil. Heat through, then add the kale with 3-4 tablespoons of the spaghetti cooking water. Stir to mix well then cover the frying pan with a lid or foil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir until the kale is completely soft.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- Add the spaghetti to the sauce in the frying pan. Squeeze in the lemon juice and mix through to coat the spaghetti (you may need to add a little of the cooking water to loosen your sauce). Taste and season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.