Professor Andrew Sinclair
Bachelor of Agricultural Science, University of Melbourne, 1965,
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, 1969.
2011 – , Professor of Nutrition Science, School of Medicine, Deakin University
2008 – 2011, Director, Metabolic Research Unit, Deakin University
2006 – 2010, Professor of Human Nutrition, School of Exercise and Nutrition Science, Deakin University
1994 – 2005, Professor of Food Science, RMIT University
1992 – 1994, Professor of Biochemistry, RMIT University
1989 – 1994, Research Fellow, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria
Honorary Fellow of the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine, 2012
Elected Fellow of the Nutrition Society of Australia, 2003
Elected Fellow of the Australian Institute of Food Science & Technology, 2001
Supelco/Nicholas Pellick AOCS Research Award, 1999
British Journal of Nutrition, Deputy Editor, 2013
British Nutrition Foundation, Editorial Board, 2012
Adjunct Professor, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Monash University, 2012
Chair of the Australian Academy of Science, National Nutrition Committee, 2011-2013
ILSI Australasia, (ILSI), 2008 – 2011, President
Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA), 2008-09 President.
American Oil Chemists’ Society, Senior Associate Editor, Lipids, 2006 – 2009
Editorial Board – Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes & Essential Fatty Acids, 2005- to date.
Current research interests
- Essential fatty acids in brain development (pre- and post-natal nutrition; the role of omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in brain and retina on neural function);
- Food Science (composition of food), Nutrition (fatty acid metabolism in man and animals); Functional foods (omega3 PUFA, lycopene, olive oil, polyphenols, stearic acid);
- Professor Sinclair has more than 260 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Some recent publications
- Bonham MP, Linderborg KM, Dordevic A, Larsen AE, Nguo K, Weir JM, Gran P,Luotonen MK, Meikle PJ, Cameron-Smith D, Kallio HP, Sinclair AJ. Lipidomic Profiling of Chylomicron Triacylglycerols in Response to High Fat Meals. Lipids. 2012 Nov 3.
- Miller E, Kaur G, Larsen A, Loh SP, Linderborg K, Weisinger HS, Turchini GM, Cameron-Smith D, Sinclair AJ. A short-term n-3 DPA supplementation study in humans. Eur J Nutr. 2012 Jun 23.
- Kaur G, Cameron-Smith D, Sinclair AJ. Are trans fats a problem in Australia? Med J Aust. 2012 Jun 18;196(11):666-7.
- Turchini GM, Nichols PD, Barrow C, Sinclair AJ. Jumping on the omega-3 bandwagon: distinguishing the role of long-chain and short-chain omega-3 fatty acids. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2012;52(9):795-803.
- Kaur G, Molero JC, Weisinger HS, Sinclair AJ. Orally administered [14C]DPA and [14C]DHA are metabolised differently to [14C]EPA in rats. Br J Nutr. 2012 May 11:1-8.