Baked salmon with minted vegetable medley
A quick, tasty meal, that can also use up odd leftover veg. A super-quick variation is to put the veg at the bottom of a microwave-safe dish with a splash of water, put the salmon on top with a twist of pepper, cover and microwave. A healthy, 5-minutes to ready meal.
For 2 people
2 pieces of salmon fillet
¼ head of any green/white cabbage
1 medium courgette
½ cup frozen broad beans
¼ cup frozen peas
Fresh or dried mint
1 tsp butter
- Put the salmon on a piece of baking parchment on an oven or microwave safe dish. I like using a shallow pie dish. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice and a grind of pepper.
- The salmon can be baked in the oven at 180C for 12-15 minutes, or grilled for 10-12 minutes, or microwaved in a covered dish for 2-3 minutes.
- Finely shred the cabbage and grate the courgette.
- Layer the veg into a saucepan, steamer or microwave-safe dish. I like to put the cabbage in first, then the broad beans, courgette and peas. But it’s up to you.
- Put 1 tsp of butter on top and a generous sprinkle of chopped fresh mint or dried mint. Add a splash of water to the saucepan or microwave dish.
- On the hob – cover the saucepan and put on a medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, shaking regularly to make sure the bottom veg doesn’t catch. You want the veg to be cooked but still have a bit of crunch. Alternatively, steam for 8-10 minutes or microwave for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables on to a plate with one piece of salmon per person.